MGB LE air conditioning

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB LE air conditioning
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:08:01 -0500
After doing some research on the same subject, I learned that R134 is not
quite as efficient with regard to heat transfer as R12. For a given system,
I was told that I would need to increase the surface area of my condensor
(unit in front of the radiator) by a factor of 20% to acheive the same
cooling as the R12 system. My stock MGB condensor is 200 sq inches (10x20).
I will need to install one that is 240 sq inches to acheive the same heat
transfer rate with R134. All that being said, I still plan to go with the
newer R134 since it is easier to get. I also plan to switch to the far more
efficient Sanden 508 compressor instead of the junk York compressor that was
original. Company called Vintage Air is an excellent source of information
and they have a good catalog (although it is mainly aimed at street
rodders). Good luck.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher

<only problem with keeping R-12 is the availablility and price.  R-134 is
now a
<fraction of the cost of R-12, and for all practical purposes does the same
job
<as R-12.  I'm converting my car to R-134 since it is also readily available
<me over the counter, as R-12 is not!  If you want to discuss this deeper,
call