Re: MGA hoods

To: parkerw@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA hoods
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:02:24
At 04:39 PM 3/4/99 EST, parkerw@juno.com wrote:
>.... I have a 57 MGA (early hood) and have the original hood that is very
dented, and a later hood that is dent-free but a little rusty.  I would
like to use the later hood, as it has only 2 minor dents.  I would get it
stripped of paint and rust at Redi-Strip.  So I guess I have 2 questions,
Will the later hood fit the earlier car? and has anyone had any experience
with Redi- Strip??

Later hood does not fit earlier cars, as the later hood is about 1/4 inch
longer front to back (as well as having a visibly higher crown).  Just put
a tape measure over the top to check.

If you take any of the alumenum MGA panels (bonnet, deck lid, doors) to
Redi-Strip, be sure you tell them that these panels have aluminum skins.
The stantard Redi-Strip process of electro-etching to remove rust from
steel parts will also eat holes in the aluminum skins.  Been there, got had
once, had to buy a new bonnet.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
  http//www.ntsource.com/~barneymg