Re: Cruise Control

To: "Rick Roberts" <rrobertsmg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cruise Control
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 11:07:15
At 10:07 AM 3/5/99 EST, Rick Roberts wrote:

>A few months back some folks were talking about successful ventures with
certain types of cruise controls. (prop shaft magnet types)  Might anyone
recall the types recommended?  I remember maybe AudioVox form PEP BOYS or
JC Whitney's??

The cheap generic cruise controls work.  And you don't need the magnets.
If you have a manual transmission the speed pickup can be one wire to the
ignition coil.

One word of warning though.  Most of the aftermarket cruise controls these
days are vacuum operated with electronic controls.  The vacuum diaphrams
are rather small and have some difficulty working properly with four
cylinder engines under moderate to heavy load conditions.  At more than
half throttle there's insufficient vacuum to operate the servo.
Recommendation is to include a vacuum reservoir about the size of a
grapefruit to get the thing through short intervals of hill pulling.  If
you're going to be doing long hauls up mountains, all bets are off.

OTOH, someone now makes an all electric cruise control with a stepper motor
for the servo.  These are somewhat more expensive, but should work well
with small engines.  At the moment I have no clue as to where you might buy
one, haven't been looking lately.  If you go that route, ley me know how it
works out.

Regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude