RE: Need Carpet Installation Advice

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: Need Carpet Installation Advice
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:03:54 -0800
Just a note since we are on the subject of carpets and glue.  The "classic"
loop carpets supplied by numerous vendors from the UK are manufactured with
an exposed loop on the underside.  The design holds up well and is really
close to the original material used on the MGs' in the 70's and 80's.  One
problem is that there is nothing to mechanically prevent the loops from
being pulled out of the backside.  When gluing the carpet with contact
cement you have one chance to safely get it right.  Once adhered, if you try
to pull up the carpet the loops will tend to pull out.  The side rail covers
are where you are most likely to have this problem.
        I normally use brush on adhesive which stays tacky a bit longer than
the spray on, I'm also less likely to shoot myself in the face that way.

Kelvin.