MGA Front wheel bearings

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Front wheel bearings
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 17:41:04 -0500
Okay.  Continuing saga of replacing hub extensions on the MGA.  Last you
heard from me I was dealing with removing the hubs from the rear axle
half shafts.  That's done.  Took a shop with a 20 Ton press to remove
the old and replace the new.  Installed.  Moved to the front of the car.

Took off one of the front wheel hub extensions.  Came right off without
need for any sort of puller.  Hmmmmm.  Both bearings remained in the
extension.  Tapped out the small, outer bearing without too much
difficulty.  Had trouble with the inner bearing, but managed to get it
out.  Now for my question.

Previous owner (bless his heart) had replaced the original bearings with
a set made by Fafnir.  He even kept the old ones, and I inherited them
with the car.  The old Ransom and Marples bearings were "open", in that
they required packing with grease.  The Fafnir bearings are sealed.
Seems to me that there was some discussion about this in the fairly
recent past, i.e., using sealed bearings rather than the open type.
Anyone have any comments on these bearings (the Fafnirs) as to quality,
usability, etc?

Gotta admit I trashed the inner bearing when removing it.  I had thought
to save and reuse them, since I know they have had very little use, but
looks like I'll be heading to the NAPA store in the morning.  I've got
SKF numbers (from the A-Antics Tech Tips book), but what about the
Fafnir bearing?  Should I go with them or the SKF?  And if you use the
sealed type bearing, just what is the point of the oil seal, except for
use as a spacer?

Any information/suggestion welcomed.

Bill