Twincam Wheels and Brake Thoughts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Twincam Wheels and Brake Thoughts
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:44:21 EST
<<Hi folks,
Recently the topic of Twin Cam wheels (peg drive) came up on the Healey list,
and whether they are similar or compatible with the wheels used on the Austin-
Healey 100S.  Both seem to be a similar wheel style as used also on the
DeLuxe.  Does anyone know whether they used the same wheels?  Are there any
reproductions being made?  If so by whom?
I'll foreward any replies to the Healey list.Thanks for any help you can
provide,
Scott Helms>>

Jim Alcorn looked at having some alloy wheels made up a few years ago, but the
price was high and the interest low, so I don't believe that he went anywhere
with it.
I can't imagine much demand from the Healey group as there weren't many 100S
cars, unless there are a bunch of 'S' wannabees who want to modify their cars
to look like an S, and wankers like that are rarely willing to spend real
money (you'd need to change the hubs and brakes as well, and it would cost
several thousand bucks).
If the Healey guys are just after performance, the 100-6 rear disc option
would be the one to pursue or replicate.  Frankly, though, it only really
matters for racing, and even then, I am not absolutely convinced that braking
power is the real issue. What I value most in my race car with the Dunlop
Twinkie set up, is the fact that your rear brakes don't fade out on you part
way through a race.  That was what always bothered me with the rear drums,
rather than any lower stopping power, when I used to race with the front disc
only set up (before I convinced my racing organization that he Deluxe actually
existed - I was running a pushrod 1600 at the time, not having by then become
senile enough to consider using the Twincam motor).

Bill Spohn