Oil Coolers - '80B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Coolers - '80B
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:45:20 -0500
My '80B was apparently delivered without an oil cooler.
I saw the oil cooler kit in the Moss sale catalog
and and went for it.  I just have a few questions for the
groupbefore I install it.

1) Is a "10 row" oil cooler large enough, or should I return it
and get a larger unit ?  I noticed that both Moss and
Victoria British sell larger units, and VB recommends their
10-row unit for "normal driving" and a larger units for
heavier driving.  For the record, I will be doing a bunch of
stop and go driving in hot weather, as well as
some highway jaunts.

2) Regarding the actual installation: Should I prime the
oil cooler and the hoses with fresh oil ?  I would not want the engine to
be starving for oil while the hoses and cooler fill up for
the first time.

3) Recommended oil brand ? I understand that SAE 20W-50 is the grade.
Should I use a "racing oil" as it is supposed to have more
foam dispersants ?  Valvoline ? Kendall ? Penzoil ??

4) Slightly off subject - recommend brand for lithium grease for the
chassis lube ??

Thanks for the help,

Gene Balinski
80'B