MG driveability

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <autox.team.net.mgs@eos.medtronic.COM>
Subject: MG driveability
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:59:34 -0600
Howard,

I don't doubt that your MG's run great as tuned.  However, the list has
been full of stories where, in order to pass emissions, the MG goes into
the garage, gets leaned to the point of strangulation, passes the test,
then gets retuned to be driveable.

You are from Colorado, aren't you?  The higher altitude may be helping you
out.  "High altitude" cars need to be tuned leaner than low altitude cars
so a lean tune condition for those of us under 1000 feet may be just the
ticket in the nosebleed states.  You run a Weber as well, do you not?
Again this is a variance from typical tuning.  Now both of these statement
are from my, admittedly foggy OF memory so if I am wrong feel free to
correct me.  One last thing, if you have a functioning catalyctic
converter, the car should pass emissions as long as you are not tuned too
far off.  OK two last things, if you are running a Weber (and some ZS's as
well) you can tune the idle mixture separate from the main jet so you can
tune for a lean idle and good midrange.  This is not an option with SU's
unless you change needles although I am not 100% certain about HIF's.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with bonehead simple H4's but, due to an aftermarket cam, needing
some compromise in the state of tune.