Experiences with aluminum MGB cylinder heads?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Experiences with aluminum MGB cylinder heads?
From: Felix Wong <felix_wong@alumni.stanford.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:59:46 -0800
Hi all!  I gave a call to British Motorsports of Campbell, CA, looking
for a rebuilt cylinder head for my '69 MGB.  They, like everyone else it
seems, did not have one due to an apparent dearth of uncracked MGB heads
in the world, but they said that a company started manufacturing new
aluminum MGB heads about 6 months ago, which are "much better" (lighter
weight, better cooling, etc.)  The cost would be $645, which "is not
much more expensive than a rebuilt cast iron cylinder head, which
[British Motorsports] would sell for ~$600".  Hence, I'm thinking this
might be the way to go?

I'm esp. interested in what are the drawbacks of such a head; e.g., a
friend of mine speculated that aluminum heads tend to warp easier.  Has
anyone had any experiences with these or could conjecture how well they
would do in the long term?

Thanks in advance,
-Felix

  `. _|,\_0     Felix Wong         Now in Fremont,CA,USA!
    (_)/LL       Mechanical Engineer, Lam Research Corp.
       `(_)       510-445-1278 home, 510-572-4257 work
          `-___My MGB/ultramarathon cycling site is now at:__
 Fw = MG          http://members.xoom.com/wheel_addict