Master brake cylinder followup

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master brake cylinder followup
From: Ray Wygonik <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:19:20 -0500
I may be jumping the gun, but believe I found the problem with the master
cylinder I replaced.  Problem was I was getting no pressure from back half
of cylinder to rear brakes.   I think the problem was air.  I did bench
bleed the cylinder before I installed it on the car, but either did not get
all the air out or introduced some back it somewhere along the line.

I bench bled the cylinder twice more (while still in the car)  I bled it
once and got more air out of the back half, then tried to bleed the brakes.
The situation improved but still not satisfactory.  I bench bled it again
and again got more air out of the back cylinder.  did not finish bleeding
the brakes last night but it appears I am starting to get decent pedal and
pressure to the rear.  I started to round off the bleeding fittings, so I am
going to stop at sears today and see if there is a special tool to fit the
bleeder fittings.

My brother is going through similar problems with a master cylinder he
replaced on a dodge caravan.  He cannot get all the air out of the system.
He has good pedal with the car off, but when he starts it and the boost
kicks in the pedal goes to the floor.  Unfortunately he does not have a
heated garage and it has been cold here in PA this week.  though not an mg
any ideas for him?