First minor disaster-(longish)

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First minor disaster-(longish)
From: "Steve Conley" <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:21:26 -0800
Well, I experienced my first "event" in the B last night.  I was driving
home from work and all of a sudden there was a terrible squealing noise,
then a smell of burning rubber, then a pop and my alternator light glowed
like a stop light. Yes, my fan belt broke. I managed to make it home (broken
belt still in the engine compartment)  After a bit of panic, I found
replacement belts and consulted my MG club friends and Haynes manual and
attempted to replace the belts. (No snickering from the pros, this is my
first fan belt replacement!)
So I get the belts replaced (eventually) and I crank it up and I hear
squealing and see smoke so I shut it down.  I have my wife crank it so I can
see what's going on (after checking my work) and I see that the alt.belt is
turning & squealing and the air pump belt is not moving. I check with my
friend Ray and he informs me I've got a bad air pump-just disconnect the
belt. Of course what I thought was going to be a simple belt replacement
turned out to be more complicated! Next up on my list (getting longer) is to
replace the air pump, but in the mean time I'm back in action.

Steve Conley
Marysville, WA  USA
'76 MGB Roadster
GHN5UG393585G