Re: Alternator question

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator question
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:41:17 -0800
>On 3/13/99 7:32 AM so and so (John Trindle) said. (And I quote:)
>
>>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Larry Macy wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect I need a new Alt. Please give me another option. My Midget has
>>> become my only form of transportation and I need to get this fixed quick.
>>
>>I'm afraid I agree.
[snip]
>>The regular interval is puzzling, though.  Oh, does this happen with the
>>headlights *off*?
>As of Friday - Yes. Today I am going to try the cheap fix and just get a
>fan belt (I noticed the beginning of a pronounced squeel driving home on
>Fri). Drive for a while and if it persists get an Alt. Some one suggested
>a Bosch alt for a Ford Fiesta bolts in. Anyone  have any experience with
>this?
>
>Larry Macy
>78 Midget

I was told that a Bosch alternator was available that would fit my '66
MGB (converted to + ground), but I was unable to locate it myself. Then
my local shop was able to get me one and rejigger the wiring to make it
work (the mounting bracket pretty much fit right on. I had to fabricate a
longer adjustment bracket out of bar stock, however). The only
identification number they had for it was the rebuilder's stock number,
which may not be helpful (you really want the Bosch part number, I
assume). But at least it would probably plug right in to a '78.

The shop was O'Connor's Classics in Santa Clara, CA, 408-727-0430. I
would give you whatever casting number is on the alternator except it's
pouring rain right now (yes, in sunny California). Email me if you're
interested.

Good luck

--

Max Heim