Petronics ign...ballasted or not???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Petronics ign...ballasted or not???
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:59:48 -0800 (PST)
Listers,

I've been calling around to get a new electronic ignition for my 77B
for a while and have talked to Moss twice.  They sell the Crane and
Petronics (sp?).  Anyway, both times I have asked if the Petronics is
for ballasted or un-ballasted systems and the person I talked to was
unsure.  I know the Crane is for un-ballasted, but could someone
answer the simple question of whether or not the Petronics is for
ballasted or un-ballasted systems?  Both times I have pushed for an
answer I get, "I believe it is un-ballasted like the Crane."  Not
really trying to hack Moss.  I usually get decent answers, but this
time I'm a little confused.

Also, I'm replacing a Pirana (if you remember my ignition woe's from
the past couple weeks).  Can someone tell me if this was for ballasted
or un-ballasted systems?  I know one way to find out is to check the
voltage at the coil after starting the car, but I can't do that right
now, and I had not done it previously.  I've gone through the wiring,
but it is a bit of a mess so I'm still unsure if the system is
ballasted as original or not.

As always, thanks in advance.  I'm sure some of you get frustrated
with first timers, but I appreciate the advice.

Tom
77B (weather getting nicer so maybe she'll stop being mad at me and
start this week)