RE: leaking valve cover

Subject: RE: leaking valve cover
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:24:22 -0800
Hi,

I have an aluminium valve cover from NW Imports (probably all made by the
same people).  I found I had some oil leaking first time I fitted it, but
now it's not so bad.  Here's what I did:

1) Make sure the gasket sits properly on the rim of the head and is lined up
with the edges of the cover.  I wiped the edge of the rim with engine oil to
help stick the gasket in place, and did not use any other sealing compound.
Note that the original cover has a rebate all around that the gasket sits
in, but the aluminium one doesn't, so you have to make sure it's sitting
right whilst you tighten the screws down.
2) When tightening the screws be sure that you tighten each on a little bit
at a time and alternate between the two.  Ensure the gasket isn't squeezed
out of line as you do this, and the most important thing I noticed was that
if I tightened by feel I was way below the recommended torque!  When I used
a torque wrench to get the recommended 5 ft lbs (I think) I realised that
although it's a low number, it's quite a force, and much more that I had
estimated first time around.

Hope this helps,

Andy
--
'69 B (non vented aluminium VC, vented filler cap)