MGA 1600 rings no more -- its healed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA 1600 rings no more -- its healed
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:46:48 -0500
Evening Listers

Earlier this winter, I posted an appeal for assistance in fixing what
sounded like a ringing from the engine of my 1960 MGA 1600.  The engine
had been rebuilt, as had the gearbox, but when I hit the road a loud
ringing sound could be heard from somewhere in the engine area,
sometimes accompanied by a pretty severe vibration.  Thanks to all who
responded, especially Barney, with lots of suggestions, ranging from
starter dragging (my prime suspect) to water pump, to generator, to who
knows what.  Cold weather in the Atlanta area prevented me from a lot of
investigation, so I took the car in on a trailer to my trusty British
Car experts this morning for diagnosis and repair.

Dan Dougherty of Global Restorations in Marietta, GA was out with the
flu, but his ace mechanic, Mark, got in the car with me and we drove it
back and forth in the parking lot, ringing sound clearly heard on all of
the backs and forths.  Mark observed "...Hmmmm, sounds like a chain or
something dragging on the ground."  Well, I must admit, I hadn't checked
for dragging chains, but Mark got out of the car, lay down on the ground
under the car and with the engine running, started poking around,
something I had been more than a little reluctant to do.  Didn't take
Mark but a minute to come back up saying "the dust cap on the drive
shaft is spinning -- it's supposed to be a press fit but is loose."
Sure enough, when I lay down and poked where he said to poke, the front
of the drive shaft (where there is a splined fit into the gearbox) had a
loose cover just spinning away.

So up on the lift, off with the drive shaft, a couple of spot welds, and
suddenly, all is right with the world in Atlanta, GA -- 70 degrees, sun,
no clouds, birds singing (can hear them now, with the ringing gone) no
other motorists on the roads, hell, even the paint job seems better,
windshield seems cleaner, seats softer, and on and on and on.

Goes to show, when you are stumped, call in the heavy artillery, they
can spot the obvious that you sometimes overlook.

Dan and his crew (Mark) did a great job for me, and thanks again to all
on the list for the suggestions and support.

Supposed to be in the upper 70's tomorrow.

M. W. JOrdan, Jr.
Marietta, GA
MGA 1600 (running like a top, a silent top)