Re: Wire wheels & v-8

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: Wire wheels & v-8
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:16:26 EST
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:31:26 -0800 "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
writes:
>Ray:
>
>       If you really like the look of wires, stick with them.  If
>cost and
>low maintenance are more of a priority change em over.
>       The stock 4 1/2" wires will break up pretty quickly, plus you
>will
>not be able to get an adequate tire footprint for traction.  5 1/2" 72
>spoke
>wires will hold up and allow the correct use of a 185/70 tire, but are
>expensive.  The right rear and front splines must be checked very
>carefully
>by someone who knows what to look for.  Any questions they should be
>replaced.  Good condition splines and a 72 spoke wheel can handle the
>power.
>Ask anyone with a Ferrari.
>
>Kelvin.

Im far from being an expert on V8  conversions but chatting with various
of the mavens over the years i got the impression that changing to a
solid wheel was practically mandatory - firstly you will have a mustang
(or similar) rear end which i doubt readily accepts splined hubs
plus(dont know what Kelvins V6 uses) i would imagine the additional power
would put a lot of stress on aged spokes as Kelvin said - Wheres Jim
Stuart? - he will know!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT