SUMMARY: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUMMARY: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:35:42 -0500
What I decided to do was take Frank C's advice and take my seats to a
local guy for recovering.  He makes the covers himself.  My car
was originally biscuit and I want to change the color to black.  My
car is a 77 and the seats have those heat sealed/created seams
up the center.  The upholstery guy can't recreate them.  What we
decided to do is this:  the seats will have a mild tuck and roll,
sort of like the early seventies seats.  He will recover the doors in
black.  The bottom ~4" will be in black carpet, and the rest of the
door will be in the same vinyl as the seats. The center part of the
door will also get a mild tuck and roll to match the seats.  I am
going to get the kick panels recovered, and they will also have a
tuck and roll to match the door and give the car symmetry down the side.
All of rest of the interior panels will be covered with the same
vinyl as the seats.  The work should look better than my description.
As for the funky  smell I am going to replace all of the foam and the
diaphragms with replacements from Moss.  That should take care of the smell
and the ugly seats.

I took a look at the guys work, (he was doing some seats from a rolls
royce) and they look very nice.  He showed me some pictures for other
jobs (even saw Frank C. A40 seats) and I am sure I can't do a better job.
So they price of the total job will come out cheaper than the replacement
parts from the usual suspects, and given that I have had 3 separate
recommendations about this guys work, I figure I can't go wrong.  Besides
I can walk to his house it is so close, not that I want to carry my
interior there.

----
Bill Gilroy
77 Midget, with the funk
90 Shar-Pei

Below are some of the suggestions and ideas that other listers had.
Some are parapharased and some are qouted.

Thanks to:

"Leo S." <ldsp@flash.net>
Norm Cannon <ncannon@cvn.net>
Jethogger@aol.com
"Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
"DOUG T VENNER" <DMC12@prodigy.net>
"J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Ajhsys@aol.com
Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>
"Steven R Schultz" <SSchultz@worldnet.att.net>

----------------------SUMMARY ---------------------------------
One lister used Febreze (Fabric Refresher) to remove a mildew smell in
their seats.  Spray on and let dry, then spray again.  Worked wonders.
Smell is probably in the foam ... remove cover ... remove foam ... place
foam in a large plastic garbage bag with some baking soda ... shake
daily for a week ... may work .... may not.
Foams are also available.
Find a local trim shop.  Check what type of work is going on in the
shop. If you see street rods it is a sign of good work.
1) If you are happy with the OE material and style options absolutely
   go with a kit.  Also purchase new foams as the originals are usually
   getting close to the end of their life.
2) You would not believe the horrible jobs I have seen upholstery shops
   do.  Beautiful restorations that looked like cheese after a couple of
   months wear.  Bits of cloth, duct tape and wood screws holding the seats
   together.
3) For a really nice look, purchase the kit, then pay an expert to
   install it.  A good upholstery man can make a real difference by heating
   and forming the material using a heat gun.  With care you can get really
   nice results at home.  A pro can make a good job, better.
I was considering getting my seats recovered at an upholstery shop,
getting new seats entirely, or ordering a kit.  Then Moss had (still
has) a sale and the seat kits got to be about $225 or so.  I  also found
some used foams.  Upholstered seat places will either make your foams,
or more than likely (as I found out) have you order them, so you'll
probably end up buying those anyway.  Then, chances are, an upholstery
shop won't be able to match the original seats for less money than you
can get the seat kits from Moss or VB.  And finally, once you get your
seats upholstered they may not match your panels, and you probably can't
get all those made for less than ~$200 (which is what they are on sale
for)! So for around $400-$500 I'll be replacing my interior panels and
seats, including two new headrests, and it will all match and look
relatively original.
Contact George Merriweather (george_cr@bigfoot.com) for a quote before
ordering.  Moss is having an upholstery sale right now, and George
discounts the Moss prices, and doesn't charge for shipping.  Prompt
service, good prices, and a very knowledgeable guy.  Can't beat it!
Call Walt Downs, he lives in Spotswood not too far from you.
He is a LBC nut and an uphosterer by hobby. Great prices too.
He does beautiful work. He has done all my cars since 1988.
Walt 251-3758. Unsure if of the area code with NJs new codes.(was 908)
Tell him I sent you. You will have to bring your seats to him, he works
in his basement. He needs about a week. He also does the new foam and
what ever the seat needs.
This guy even fabricated Bugeye seat pans for me from scratch!
Bill, my brother, dad and myself redid the seats on the '78 B this past
year, and we were VERY dissatisfied with the fit of the pieces.  We
purchased four new seat cushions AND their upholstery kit.  The seams
would not line up with the edges of the foam.  I can supply pictures of
the seats, and you can verify.  We didn't send the pieces back, since we
decided to glue the covers, hoping that they would align slightly better
when glued.  We gambled and lost.
NOTE: The poster followed up with who supplied the seat kit, but
I could not find that post.
I have used the Moss seat covers on an MGA and the quality
is very good.  The installation is not difficult but it goes best
with two people.  One to pull and hold the leather or vinyl and
the other to use an electric staple gun.  Both companies run
sales on their interior kits so you can save some money there.
I have seen some people make their own seat foam and it seems
to work fine and you will save some money.  The replacement
foam is best if you have the cash.

I don't know what it would cost you to have it done at an upholstery
shop but if it is more expensive I would recommend you do it yourself
rather then pay to have it done.  Once completed it is a very satisfying
project