the quest is over

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: the quest is over
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:12:01 -0700
As some of you may recall, I've been looking for another LBC for the last
six months. I asked the list and got a few offers. And I even had Carol
check a 67 BGT in San Antonio for me.

I was looking for a decent MG, preferably 67 or older, to replace my old,
rusty, but reliable 71 BGT (its not a pretty site but it runs as good as it
gets).

I finally linked up with a guy in Ft. Collins who was selling a 67 BGT - I
think the ad was on the MG classifieds (www.mgcars.org.uk). He sent
pictures. It all looked good but several snow storms delayed the meeting -
we were going to meet halfway, in Casper, but in the end, he agreed to haul
it up here in Montana, a region where LBCs are scarce.

It finally happened today and now I join the elite listers who own more
than one LBC. Granted, it was a BGT, and I would have much preferred a B,
but its still a nice car. And I still can enjoy top down weather during our
two month summers with my 74 Toyota Landcruiser.

The 67 BGT has not been licensed or driven regularly since 1992 but rust is
minimal. So I'll still have a lot of work to get it ready. However, since
I'm into originality, I'll need the expertise of other MG owners to
determine what is original (much gets changed since production stopped a
few decades ago).

For one, I have two curved toggle switches on the left hand side of the
dash - the book says that is the overdrive switch. But why are there two of
them?

I remember (from the 70s) that a friend's 67 BGT had the bullet mirrors
mounted towards the front of the fenders. Was this standard on the 67 or
did they use the flat mirror on the doors?

And lastly (for now) - has anyone repaired the dash overlay on the metal
dash and how was it applied? the PO ordered a roll of the fabric that
covers the foam and the other area above the dash - but I have no
instructions on how to apply it.

For those that are interested, the pictures of the 67 BGT can be seen at:
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT (runs great, looks not so good)