Re: Ignition problems (77B), Conclusion (for now)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition problems (77B), Conclusion (for now)
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:55:48 -0800 (PST)
Wooohooo, on the road again!

Well, for those that had been following and helping with my ignition
woes over the past few weeks, I thought I'd post the conclusion (for
now).  Quick summary.  After running fine for a while, I let the car
sit for a couple weeks in bad weather and then it quit running...no
spark.  I replaced the plugs, plug wires, and coil to no avail.  It
had a Pirana ignition module in it that was looking pretty beat up.
On the advice of many on the list, I bought the Pertronix Ignitor
unit, put it in Saturday and VRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM!

One thing I'd like to understand though.  Before connecting the
Pertronix to the coil, with the ignition switch on, there was 12.3x
volts on the (+) side of the coil.  But, if I connected the red wire
of the Pertronix unit to the (+) side of the coil and did the same
test, there was < 6 volts! (black wire of Pertronix on (-) side of the
coil).  Is this supposed to happen???  Per the instructions, the
Pertronix unit will not work with < 6 volts on the (+) side so I ran
this to a 12v source and it fired right up.  Anyone have any thoughts
on this???

Regards,
Tom
77B (sparks like a charm now!)