RE: Points

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: RE: Points
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:22:22 -0800
No fuss Neil.

        You forget you are living in a land where people who shop at K mart
have Lucas ignitions.
        In the US I have only bought ignition stuff at a 'Merican parts
store one time.  The rotor was so poor of a quality I put the carved up
carbon tracked one back in the car and continued driving across the Arizona
desert.
        On the other hand my brother bought a set of points for his Austin
Marina from a parts store in Denver.  They were Lucas and only cost $18.00!!

        Seriously.  Lucas, Intermotor and Bosch are all servicable quality.
Bosch uses a phenolic lifter if I recall, but I have yet to see any problems
with the plastic lifter.  So long as the current draw is within specs.  My
guess is that anytime one sees premature points failure take a good hard
look at coil current draw.

And we like you too Neil.

Kelvin.