Bad Short Hunting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad Short Hunting
From: Kf6alc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:03:56 EST
Thanks to all for the info on the Twin 6 / 12v exchange, but I still couldn't
start her up.  She ran for a few seconds while the starter fluid was in the
carb, but then quit.  I seem to be having fuel delivery problems, so I was
trying to check the pump.  I tried to disconnect the fuel hose at the carb,
and nothing squirted, so I went back to the pump, and could not hear any noise
as I turned the key on.  I checked the wires, and the white wire seems to be
shorted to ground.  I went up to the fuses in under the bonnet, and to my
surprise, EVERY fuse, whether connected or not, had continuity to the engine
block.  So, how do I track down a short when I don't even know where to begin?
Is there any good procedure for eliminating systems?  I just got her this past
weekend, so I know nothing about her, other than she had a history of draining
the batteries every 2 days or so.  I checked (with battery out, key off and
out) across the positive battery cable to the negative, and read about half
the scale on my multimeter at 1k ohms.  Isn't this bad?  I don't even know
where to begin...
Any hints are greatly appreciated!
Greg 71B