Carb Air Piston Principles?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Air Piston Principles?
From: "Allen Shaffer" <shaffer.2@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:23:46 -0500
I really hate to ask...

I know all the PARTS of the Zenith-Stromberg carburetor. I bought a book on
auto fundamentals, and I now understand what the fast idle system, the
throttle butterfly, the float and needle stuff, etc. do (mostly).

What I DON'T get is... what does the air piston and its metering needle do,
exactly? And what and how does the metering needle in the choke work??

(This is a continuation of the hard "cold starting" problem, that was not
solved by replacing the auto choke with manual conversion and by replacing
the fuel filter, so I'm especially interested in how those systems
contribute to cold starting...)

Thanks much! I'm just determined to understand how this thing works...

Allen and Marian
Columbus, Ohio
77B, Brooklands Green, "Prolly"
(Which car are you taking? "Prolly" the MG....)