MGA Rear Axle leak fix

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Rear Axle leak fix
From: R&C Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:22:04 -0800
Rear axle seal leaks are a common MGA problem. Mine has leaked on the
right side for years. New seals would work for a while but would
eventually start leaking again. I finally couldn't take it anymore and
decided to try the fix outlined in Barney's excellent Rear Axle 101 (
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/rearaxle/ra1.htm ). A thin
metal sleeve is put around the seal surface on the axle. I was able to
find the sleeve at a local NAPA parts store (around $32). Enough time
has gone by since doing the repair for me to fell confident in shouting
IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!! Thanks Barney. These sleeves apparently come in
many sizes and look as if they would work for any kind of a seal leak
that's not cured by a new seal. The guy at NAPA said they sell them
mostly to people fixing timing cover seal leaks. Something to keep in
mind for future leak fixes.

Ron
58 MGA