Craftsman tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Craftsman tools
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:37:40 -0400
Greg, et al...

Interesting discussion, but I have a question.  I've bought a few tools,
from a local independent auto parts store, under the brand name of
Blackhawk.  They're made in USA and appear to be of good quality they're
and comparable to Craftsman prices.  But I don't see the Blackhawk name in
your comprehensive discussion.

What can you tell me about Blackhawk tools?

Allen

From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>

>I'm not the final word on tools by any means, but since I work in the
>business, I've learned a little bit about it. Okay, here's more than you
>ever wanted to know. As someone pointed out in a previous post, Lowes now
>(as of earlier this year) is selling a line of Mechanics Tools called Kobalt
>which is made by Snap-On. They are good tools. Home Depot's Husky brand is
>made by Stanley Mechanics Tools, a division of the Stanley Works. Husky are
>also good tools and have a good lifetime warranty (they'll even replace your
>broken Craftsman with an equivalent Husky). Until 1994 or so, Stanley also
>made Sears Craftsman tools. Sears Craftsman is now made by Danaher Tools.
>They beat out Stanley on the contract over price. Danaher also manufactures
>MatCo Tools, the third largest player in the Mobile Automotive industry
>(behind MAC and Snap-On). Odds are, if you own any Craftsman tools that are
>older than about five years ago, they were made by Stanley in plants in
>Dallas, Texas, Witchita Falls, Texas, and Sabina, Ohio. Stanley also owns
>MAC Tools and manufactures MAC tools in the same plants. Now here's the
>kicker: MAC Tools, Proto Tools (a very expensive industrial brand), Husky
>Tools, and, (prior to five or so years ago) Craftsman Tools are all made
>from the same forgings in the same plants...

*    Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<         *
*    Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs *
*    New Castle, VA 24127                       *
*    USA                                        *
*    540/544-7333                               *