Wet brakes don't work

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wet brakes don't work
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:42:46 -0800
Hi all,

Now that the '67 B has been upgraded to have two speed wipers, I now intend to
tackle another safety issue, to whit, when driving in the rain, the brakes get
wet and stop working.  This has happened consistently over the 20 years I've
owned this car through many brake changes.  I've developed the habit of waiting
until no one is behind me and then driving with my left foot on the brake pedal
until the brakes start to grab.

Other cars don't do this so it must be a solveable problem. However, I don't
know if the problem is that the brakes can get wet or that the water effects the
brakes.  I also don't know if this is just my car or if other people have this
problem.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, do the later brakes ('68 on)
have this problem?  Or is this common to all B's, maybe all MG's?  If so, has
anyone found a way to solve this problem?

Any and all anecdotes, guesses, suggestions, comments, etc. gratefully accepted.

TIA,
Denise Thorpe