Re: [Fwd: gearbox disgust]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: gearbox disgust]
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:40:52 -0600
Rick:

The problem is much worse in the MGA/MGB NON-synchro box, particularly
the early pre-66/67 boxes. Getting a hundred thousand miles on one of
those layshafts would be possible, but unusual.

Dave Q.
As and (early) Bs

>From Rick Morrison:
Lawrie,
I probably didn't state the reply very well.  What I meant (and thought
I was saying) was that the effort, expense and general hassle to make
the modification to an otherwise good transmission, was, while not
counter-productive, at the least unnecessary. At the time of a major
tranny overhaul, I could see and justify the modification. As you stated
the extra bearing surface would add to the longevity of the layshaft.
<snip><