RE: New dash light debate...

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, MG List <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New dash light debate...
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:13:30 -0700
This is very long, if you are not inclined to read long messages press your
delete key now.  You know, it's probably over in the upper right hand corner
of your keyboard.

Mike [Lishego] here's a message I sent to the list some time ago, with some
slight modifications.  As a "forward" to this message I would like to add
this: if you lower the bulb voltage rating you increase the brightness of
the bulb, and lower the life expectancy.  I think some guy named Ohm figured
this out.  Radio Shack is probably not supplying bad bulbs, you're using
them in the wrong application.  Those bulbs will probably last forever in a
6 volt system.

Remember that the lamp is only one issue that determines the panel lamp
brightness.

I have also added a message John Hunt sent to me about this subject.  It
follows my original message.

-------------------

About 2 months ago I indicated to the list I would check out the "Dim
panel lamp" issue.  I think Jack Feldman may have started all this,
and there was further input from Paul Hunt and Dan Master, as well as
others on this list.

Here is what I have found.  If your car uses a lamp with a screw
base and a 7/16" spherical globe you have probably been using a lamp
with a model number of 1449.  Although this lamp is labeled as a 12V lamp
they are rated at
14V / 2.8W / .20A.  This is the lamp that is usually sold as a 12V lamp,
so when you go to your local parts house and pick
up a 12V lamp your are really being sold a 14V lamp, which translates to a
dimmer
lamp than the original equipment.  It seems the original
equipment on your MGB was most likely a 12V lamp (a real 12V lamp)
which would have a model number #52 or 1446.  These are very hard to
find in the United States, but they are available.

I found a local supplier in Denver that sells a Sunray 1446 lamp.  They are
rated 12V / 2.4W / .2A.  The supplier indicated they couldn't get the
same lamp in either Wagner or GE.  I am sure there are specialty lamp
shops all over the globe that can supply these same lamps.  In fact I
believe Paul Hunt indicated they are "commonly available in the UK."

I have been using these lamps in half of my instruments for the last 6
months,
in the other half of my instruments I have the old 14V lamps.
The results have been slightly brighter instruments with the new
lamps.  The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.  To date
none of them have burned out, which has been reported as a problem
with the Radio Shack solution (7.2V lamps).

-----------------------

And John Hunt wrote to me and added:

Larry:

I recently received a lamp catalog that lists the models
you mentioned in your "dim panel lamp" post a few months
ago.

Bulb Direct
800-772-5267   Pittsford, NY.

Shipping and handling charge is $4.95 for any size order.
They don't seem to have a minimum order size.

52      $.46
1446    $.55

They have a web page with a searchable index.
http://www.bulbdirect.com/

The 52 is listed as 14.4V, E10 base ("Edison Screw" base).
The 1446 is listed as 12V, E10 base.

The 53 is listed as 14.4V, BA9s base. ("bayonet" base).
The 1449 is listed as 14V, E10 base.

You can also search by voltage, base, etc.  For the
E10 base (which I assume is correct) and 12V it only
lists the 1446.

If their info is correct, it looks like the #1446
is the winner for the MGB panel lamp use.

I've never used Bulb Direct , but it looks like this might be the
answer.  So far, I'm still have the original lamps in my '68B.
So much for unreliable English electrical parts!

I suppose that one of us should verify this info and post
it to the mg list.

regards,

John Hunt
Portland OR.

Hope this helps.

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
1970 Daily Driver ~ 1967 Vintage Racer ~ 1969 Undergoing V8 conversion
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/