Re: trim strips

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: trim strips
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 06:07:34 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Carl French wrote:

> Hi there, I am doing my chrome strips tomorrow (4/3) at work. I have
> Porter's/haynes etc but I was looking for any last minute pearls of
> wisdom.

The revelation I remember (it's been 3 years) was that you do *not* want
to tap them on with a hammer... either it will take all day or you will
hit it hard enough to dent... Note:  I *did* use a wadded up shop rag as
padding.

Unfortunately, the best technique I found was to use the heel of my hand.
It kinda hurts but works a treat.  If you have a leather-faced hammer that
might work too.

I really irritated myself by denting one of the strips.  Care in removing
the old ones may let you reuse the best one if necessary (if you bugger
one up). I didn't use care in removing, so now I have a newish but
pre-dented strip on one panel.

It's pretty easy, and makes a difference in the appearence... of course,
I drove for a significant period without trim strips when I got the car...
it was stripped for a lousy paint job and never fully reassembled.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock