Status report, VA SAFTFST

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Status report, VA SAFTFST
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 06:24:28 -0500 (EST)
Well, I've got the registration legal, and I decided to drive it down to
work to pick up the work parking sticker...  A beautiful trip.  I've been
making this 30 mile trip (each way) every day in the tired old Spitfire
since the Mazda decided that braking was beyond its capabilities.

UNfortunately, when I drove out for lunch... on the way back, I lost the
clutch functionality completely.  Had to start in gear, go to the next
intersection, turn off key, etc.  Got back to the work parking lot and
checked the reservoir... dry.  Dumped in some LMA (all I had) on top of
the silicone fluid that was put in there, and... went back to work.  At
the end of the day it backed out of the parking space like a charm, and
then no clutch again.

Key on, key off, key on, key off... A real bitch, especially with an
interstate with heavy traffic (as in, stopping) on the way.  I pulled off
into a mall parking lot and checked the reservoir... still full!  Of
course, air was now in the system due to the empty reservoir earlier.

I found I could pump 4 times and then shift... and so I made it home using
1st, 2nd, and 4th (3rd crunches a bit under the best of circumstances).
Now it is outside awaiting an all-day bleeding session.

My concerns are:

1) What's the best way to get rid of the silicone fluid?  Just bleed
through with LMA until the fluid changes color?

2) Is the pump-four-times-and-it-works-once condition a symptom of air or
something more serious?

3) I still have the slave cylinder and hose replacements, which I could
put on before bleeding.  Does it sound like I need to?  The slave has new
seals, and no drips on the ground.  However, I didn't check the parking
spot at the restaurant.

I'd really like to get this on the road as a daily driver.  It really
likes 65 mph a *lot* more than the Spitfire.

Oh, and my tappets are clattering like mad.  <g> But I know that's because
I'm 25 miles away from an oil change and head retorque/valve adjustment.

(engine just "rebuilt").

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock