DCO Monthly Awards

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DCO Monthly Awards
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 04:18:54 +1000
Hi List,

I propose we start a dumb current owner monthly award, and list all the dumb
things we do to our cars on a Website. How does that sound. Y'see I like the
exposure, fame etc. <G>

I'll go first. :)

Last night I was driving home in my newly revived MGA, full throttle
entering the M2 motorway (corrrr listen to this you turkeys in your
econoboxes!!! ANARCHY <G>), when BANG, clatter, BANG!!! OH Shhiiii****
Almost total power loss, the noise stopped, but backfiring like crazy above
2000rpm. I managed to limp her over to the side of the road and lifted the
bonnet.....

AHEM. Someone has tell me how to tighten bolts properly! Well maybe it
wasn't entirely my fault, this has happened before, but not quite as
dramitically. This stupid aftermarket air filter had rattled off one of the
securing bolts and the air filter was just hanging there. It must have been
the bolt hitting the fan or something that I heard. Anyway, I couldn't
figure out why there was the power drop unless the nut or something had gone
into the carb -- GULP.. After a few minutes revving the thing outside
someones house, late at night, stares out the window etc. I figured that the
filter was swinging around and totally blocking off air from entering the
two front cylinders. I took the filter completely off (I'm not that stupid,
I carry a toolkit in the boot, water, oil etc <G>) and thank god that fixed
it and I made it back home. Next on the list is a pair of new filters, I
already have the elements. I only recently found out the ones I have weren't
std.

So do I win DCOOTM (Dumb current owner of the month) ???? <G>

Feeling rather shameful, <G>
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2