Bonnet Strap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bonnet Strap
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:05:16 EDT
I have a Brooklands reprint of MGB articles (bought back in '91, doesnt seem
to be available anymore). A test by an Australian magazine mentioned that the
bonnet flew open due to the wind and became badly bent. Their solution was to
fit a steel cable from a Mini that woud limit the ability of the bonnet (or
boot lid for that matter) to travel. The family Ford Windstar has something
similar. Of course the wind might pick up the lid, whose travel would be
limited by the cable, but would have then lifted the prop rod off of its rest
so that said lid would then drop down on YOUR lid . Ouch. Call me old
fashioned, but I prefer the prop rods to the later telescoping props and any
new fangled hydraulic prop. Its much easier to open the bonnet to the
vertical (in a draft free garage) and with a cushion on the windshield you
can tie the bonnet in place. Lots of room to work then and no need to unbolt
anything.Cheers, Andy Blackley