M/C reservoir, hood struts

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: M/C reservoir, hood struts
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:01:16 -0400

Multiple subjects, since I am on the digest version of the list.....

M/C screws-  like (almost ?) all the screws on our British cars, except
a very few straight slot ones, these screws are POSIDRIVE. Say POSIDRIVE
at least 10 times to impress it into your memory. While you can use a
Phillips screwdriver some of the time without problems, when you come to
the really tight screw, the Phillips is not a good fit. You will
probably damage the screw head without removing it.

Right after you buy that Bentley Manual, please do yourself a big favor
& buy a set of POSIDRIVE screwdrivers. Next purchase should be a can of
P B Blaster. With these 2 items, you should have no trouble removing the
old reservoir. A #4 is required for door hinges, #3 for a few odd
screws, #2 for almost all others. Many of the ratcheting screwdriver
sets include at least a #2 bit, you just have to look.

HOOD STRUTS-  I have 2 sets of hood struts & 1 set of trunk struts from
Ian. They have been on the cars for several years. No bent truck lid,
the much higher hood opening & placement of the struts makes working in
the engine bay much more convient. His is a better design (hood struts)
than those sold by the MG Owners Club.

Jim Stuart
2 V8's, no dollars or sense