Re: RUST?? longish Rant

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RUST?? longish Rant
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:16:50 -0500
Parker:
This brings up a general comment, but it's a good enough thread as any to
jump in...(you know that moment when you are bent over the engine bay and
you see something totally unrelated to the job at hand and you say to
yourself, "I wish everyone on the LIST could see this". Let's hope wireless,
voice-activated email isn't too affordable in the near future. (sorry, my
current assignment is dealing with these things)
I'm probably no help at all with this post other than to spout off on the
subject and let you know that it's a common malady in our beloved
machines -- would it help if I said that I "feel your pain"? ;) Probably
not. Buy a good, clean example if you need the MG feeling while you do the
resto. My $.02. Rust is the enemy. Lucas, Prince of Darkness, is a guardian
angel in comparison. (manifestations take on a more sinister, yet vulnerable
form)
My '73 B is relatively solid (I've actually jacked it up on the original
jack points with no detrimental effects so far), and I knew there was bondo
in spots when I bought it. Everytime I work on it, though, I am amazed at
how this car was almost designed to CATCH moisture and hold it in place in
order to allow oxidation to occur in places you can't possibly reach without
almost filling the space with WaxOyl or a similar substance.
Look at a B, (are the A's just as bad?)...Just LOOK at those Possum holes
(as some of us now call them) over the fenders from the engine bay! My
current project of removing the entire pedal assembly (m/c's and all) just
made it more 'real' to me...that place was a mess...bubbled paint from
leaking brake fluid luckily pooled and drained forward down into the engine
bay...under all the brake lines. (wire "toothbrush" and elbow grease on that
area.)
My opinion is: there is NO WAY to completely banish rust on an original MG
without completely dismantling it and fully restoring it and then making
sure it doesn't creep in again.
Bottom line at the bottom -- Rust is a natural occurance with an MG. It
horrifies me to think of what it looks like at the bottom of those holes in
my car...and I haven't stripped the car down yet for a paint job to see ALL
the bondo. Luckily, it was "put up" in a dry space for a long time and isn't
suffering like it might be....
Rant mode OFF...just wanted to share. :) I feel better.
Dan
73 B

>Hi everyone,
> Bad news.  While attempting to remove the rear fenders (did they
>really need to hold it on with that many fasteners?) I found that the DPO
>hadn't repaired the rusty sills of my MGA, he had just put some metal and
>some bondo over them<SNIP>
Just curious if I should get another MG for use during this