Re: FW: Tire suggestions

To: Jason Dutt <jason@markerman.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Tire suggestions
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:46:28 -0400

Jason Dutt wrote:

> The only cautions I would give are not to get a tire that is TOO high
> performance.  First, it's a waste of money, second, it can not only provide
> for an uncomfortable ride, but also can be very dangerous.  Newer
> performance cars are designed not to have any push in the corners.  MGs
> don't work that way, and you'll end up kissing a guardrail with no warning
> if you're not careful.  At least that's what I've been told by fellow MGers.

For someone who wants to get a bit more handling from their car, I feel
that tires are a great area for improvement.  For most automobiles, a
change in tires can yield the single biggest improvement in
performance.  I agree that going overboard is unnecessary, but given the
sizes of the tires typically found on MGs, you simply won't be able to
find the high performance tires, anyway.

"Push in corners?"  Are you referring to understeer?  If so, a ride in
most of today's car will yield understeer much worse than the MGB,
simply because they are front drive.  Case in point, friend's Ford Probe
with 20+ more horsepower.  It's heavier, and front wheel drive.  He
wants to autocross it now.  I warned him of understeer.  We take it to a
deserted parking lot, and he does one donut while on the throttle.  The
car tracked straight ahead while the steering wheel was cranked.  A
similar move in my B would have yielded no problems, and perhaps would
have broken the rear loose.

Bruce, take a look at Tire Rack's web site.  They stock some 175/70R14
sizes that fit the Rostyles very well.  Some say the 165s are the way to
go, but I've no problems and like the extra tiny bit of tread on the
ground.

Bruce, I recommend Bridgestone very highly.  Yokohama makes good
performance tires.  The Pirellis are decent, and the Michelins are
obscenely expensive.  I have Pirelli P6s on my car and while the ride is
good, the compound is way too hard for this light car.  I have 30k+
miles on them and at least 2/3s of the tread is still there.  The
outside row of tread is tearing up on the autocross. I think tires are
rolling over and wearing the outside row of tread???  You might find
these perfectly adequate for a normal, street driven car.

Take care
jay

--
When you were born you cried