Lacquer Paint

To: MG Chat <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lacquer Paint
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 13:29:14 -0400
I have seen some of the chat about pros and cons of lacquer paint. I
have a '51 MGTD MkII restored in 1980 and painted then with lacquer.
Several problems noted with this 20 year old paint. The lacquer has
developed web thin cracks or fissures where stress has been applied over
the years. In some places it has actually cracked and started to curl
away from the body.

Also, lacquer appears to be very susceptible to chipping. The slightest
pebble will chip the paint right down to the core. Does anyone had an
answer how  to protect this paint job? I have read about a layer of
clear coat. Is this the right answer?

In defense of lacquer, I must say that the 20 year old paint job is
today as beautiful as the day it was done and probably as beautiful as
the original cellulose paint when the car came off the assembly line. As
proof of the appearance, the car was a winner at an all British Car Show
last week. Lacquer paint IS beautiful but it's durability is questioned.

Stu Keen