re :Halogen Bulbs

To: mrazor@kih.net
Subject: re :Halogen Bulbs
From: "D.Roozemond" <danko@cti019.citg.tudelft.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:37:55 +0100
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:10:00 -0400
From: Mike Razor <mrazor@kih.net>
Subject: Halogen Bulbs

I have been following a thread on the  MG MGA BB about using
Halogen lamps, not only the headlights but all running
lights.  Someone even mentioned  dash lights.   It seems that
they do well in the MGA with no ill effects and provide at
least 30% more light.  I can not attest to this fact only
repeat what I have seen posted.  I wonder if these bulbs would
work in my TD with the the same lack of ill effects or would
do they pull more juice and put out more heat than the old TD
could stand.
Thanks!
Mike R

Be carefull while using halogeen bulbs. In the B a setup of halegeen headlights
normally requires the use of relais. Otherwhise the current eats away your
lightswitch. (the one near the steering wheel.) The plastic used just melts
after using hte lights for a longer period. First it seems ok, then after ca
half - one year, depending of use of course, it starts melting. (the newer ones
melt as easy, thus only relais may work) But thats on the B.
Mine suffered from this and I have heard similair stories, several times. In
your TD you may not want to risk the burning of your lightswich as they are
quite expensive (If remenbered correct) But as always the older switches may be
more resistant to heat as not that much plastic is in the switch.
But as always YMMV.
Let me know what you decide, and how it last, as I intend to try it out when the
resto of my td is finished. (you dont wanna wait that long....)

Danko Roozemond

Please feel free to reply to d.roozemond@ct.tudelft.nl
MG TD '53    (to become toy after (DIY) restauration)
FIAT 500 '69 (small and slow :56 mph max, good fun to drive though)
MG BGT '72   (the real daily driver, but in urgent need of TLC)