RE: That's what you get when you don't DIY.

To: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: That's what you get when you don't DIY.
From: Joe Short <buster_balz@operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:40:57 -0400
My car is a '75. I lowered it by using shorter springs. As a result, the shock
had only about 1/2 inch of compression travel. So, when braking hard they
would bottom out so harshly that they'd bounce the suspension back up. During
autoX events this resulted in the suspension never taking a proper set. As a
result,
the car understeered terribly, and was a real handful to control under those
conditions. Also, I suspect that they probably would'nt have lasted too long
taking that kind of abuse. I took some measurement, and looked all over for
shocks that would fit in place of the spax, but no one makes them that small.
In my case the levers are a much better choice. Someday, I'll try one of those
slick coil over conversions. It only takes money...