Re: More Novice Questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Novice Questions...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:53:41
At 09:11 PM 4/19/99 -0400, Jason Dutt wrote:

>Curious about the negative camber wishbones .... I'm sure all that
glitters is not gold in this case.  Other than a squatty look and some odd
tire wear, are there any cons to using negative camber wishbones?

Yes.  You get kicked out of Stock class and into Street Prepared class when
you go autocrossing with SCCA.  The camber change alone is not going to
make the car the 3-1/2 seconds faster in a 1 minute lap that you need to be
competitive in that class.  The most significant things you can do that are
allowed in Stock class is to install a large front anit-sway bar and sticky
road racing tires.

But if you like that sort of performance mod and have some money to spend,
Street Prepared class allows almost anything that you can bolt on with
wrenches without removing the cylinder head and without doing any cutting
or welding.  For example, exhaust headers, different carburetors, wide
wheels, rear sway bar or panhard rod, positraction differential, change of
suspension springs and shock absorbers, lowered ride height, vented brake
rotors and 4-piston calipers, and of course camber arms.

And I'm still trying to figure out how to make fully independent rear
suspension bolt on to the leaf spring mounting points.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
  http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg