Re: 78 B bodywork, HS4 conversion/emission questions

To: dresden@tiac.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 78 B bodywork, HS4 conversion/emission questions
From: David Sylvain <niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:02:14 -0400
Nevin,

Although not a  RB, I bought my 72B with early HS-4s, and no emissions
controls:  there's no PCV valve, gulp valve, air pump, etc.  The only
remnant of the emission control system is the adsorption canister, which is
still connected to the rocker cover by a hose.  The oil filler has an
unvented cap, and the oil separator tube vents to atmosphere.  When I got
the car last November, I was somewhat concerned by condensation under the
oil filler cap, which I thought could have been the result of having no
PCV.  But now I think that the condensation was largely due to cool
(sometimes cold) temperatures here in Massachusetts, and not to the lack of
PCV as I suspected at first.  Now that Spring has brought warmer temps,
there's no apparent condensation.   Still running great -- Top-down & torquey!

Dave Sylvain
72B