Re: Workbench

To: Chris Rogers <TravelMW@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Workbench
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
At 09:06 AM 4/26/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Very sturdy, portable, easy to assemble and disassemble. The Workmates
>were the highest cost item, but after having used one myself, I think it
>is one of the handiest gadgets to have in the garage for all types of
>odd jobs.

Chris et al.

I got a Workmate years ago as a gift and thought it was a waste of space at
the time.  I now think it's just about the best thing going for someone with
limited shop space.  Here's why...

While my shop is a fairly good size alot of space is occupied for storage.
I do mechanical, electronics, and wood work in the same shop and have a
medium good selection of power tools.  While it would be nice to have a full
time router table, scroll saw, jointer, buffer etc set up on benches I just
don't have the space.  What I've done is mount each of these tools on a
solid plywood base and attached a 2x4 cleat to the bottom.  When not
required these tools hang on the wall above the drill press bench.  When I
need one I take it off the wall and clamp it in the workmate. Voila! When
I'm finished the tools go back out of the way on the wall and the workmate
folds up and goes under the table saw table. Zero floor or bench space lost.

Try it, you'll like it!