Re: Hot transmission and a LONG rave

To: "Mark Nellemann" <garfield@box.format.nu>
Subject: Re: Hot transmission and a LONG rave
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:56:58 +1000
Mark,

> transmission gets very hot. Atleast i think it's the transmission. I can
> feel the heat on my right leg (it's a left side car!). Is it normal that

I haven't driven an MG that didn't get a hot transmission tunnel! But I
guess it depends on your definition of hot.. Maybe there's one out there
that doesn't get hot at all but I doubt it. <G> Do check your fluid levels
in the tranny, take it to a mechanic if you are really worried and a
workshop manual is a must so you can start to do stuff for yourself.

When my BGT was my Daily Driver I used to call it 'The Sleeping Pill'
because everyone I took out in it for a drive of a few hours, mainly girls
of course - weyhey ;), would inevitably fall asleep in about an hour flat,
now I didn't realise I was THAT boring. <G> That was a not a question BTW so
don't get any ideas Eric E. <G>

The GT is lovely and toasty in the winter but HELLISH in the summertime. It
doesn't help when all the sound deadening material and heat absorbtion
material has been stripped out of the car like mine has. Another thing Mark,
I'm not certain about the MGC cyl. head but I presume the exhaust system
runs down the drivers side of the car in a LHD layout like other MGs. I
remember when mine was still LHD it used to be a lot worse sitting on that
side of the car than it is now with the wheel on the right. Those floors are
pretty thin steel, and I guess a C exhaust system would generate a fair
degree more heat than a B.

> there some switch I need to clean up or is it another problem ? I find
> the car (it should have 145 bhp) rather slow, but I guess that's because

I have driven one MGCGT and it wasn't that quick either, but it is quicker
by good margin compared to a stock B. I would love a CGT sometime, the extra
height of the 15" wires and the bonnet bulge make it look the goods. I want
to make a GTS replica like every other man and his dog. :) There is a lot of
additional weight in an MGC as you probably know, most of it in the motor so
don't forget that when you're thinking about performance. Your motor, unless
it has been rebuilt recently, isn't likely to be putting out that much HP
anymore. It's amazing how well they do go when they're in good tune and
fresh. I drove a B on the weekend with almost 130hp... Expletives Deleted
but WOW..!! Wasn't just the HP in this car, but the
lightening/strengthning/balancing work that had been done in the motor. It
was on the redline so fast I thought I was driving a Twin Cam Japbox not an
MG! I've taken even more weight out of my B motor rebuild than what they've
done in this car, so I can't wait to have a thrash in my GT..! Watch out you
knobs in ya Miatas. <G> Pity I won't be running it on the road too
often...... Y'see there's this smarmy 150HP TRash6 driver who is always
revving past me on the way home, or next to me revving at the lights when
I'm driving in the A. I figure style before speed eh guys? lol! I can't wait
till he comes up along side my bog std looking GT... ahahahahahahaahahahah!!
;) It may give him a run for his money. <G>

Cheers,
Neil