Re: ARP head stud sets

To: eaz@snet.net
Subject: Re: ARP head stud sets
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:32:12 -0400
I wish I had a ARP box in front of me, but I'll try from memory.
Something like 80%+ of the torque applied is used to overcome the
effects of friction among the threads, so in essence less torque is
actually converted into clamping force.  However, with the ARP studs and
other studs out there, use of good lubricants and revisions in thread
design allow for more of the torque to be converted into clamping
force.  Therefore, if you torque those head studs down to MGB manual
specs, you'll be putting a lot more clamping force down.  Now, if I
remember correctly, the top thread in the block has a tendency to be
pulled from the mass.  If that is true, then you need to watch your
torque??

Notice that ARP makes a lubricant.  Supposedly good enough that you need
to use much less torque.  Otherwise, motor oil will require a different
torque rating.

Oh, and to answer your question directly, by torque schedule, I was
referring to different torque ft/lbs, N/m ratings.  The design of the
engine and heads and whatnot determines the sequence you follow in
tightening bolts.

take care
Jay

PS. Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.  I can supply
references, if necessary.

--
When you were born you cried
And the world rejoiced.