Re: Low Pressure Fuel Pump

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Subject: Re: Low Pressure Fuel Pump
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:53:06 -0500
Stuart,

Sounds like the old pump has either 1) a worn spring or 2) bad check valves.
I had a similar problem many years ago with a Spitfire. It had a mechanical
pump but would not hold highway speed. I traced it to a reversed pair of
check valves in the pump. the leakage allowed some gas to get by , but not
enough to deliver the volume necessary for speed. Must have been done by the
DPO or a un-trained technician.

The internal spring determines the fuel pressure to the carbs.

My bet is that there is some cr** (crud?) stuck in the check valves though.

Chuck