RE: Timing Question

To: "'Eric Erickson'" <eric@erickson.on.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing Question
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:32:19 -0400
Eric,

Reminds me of a time many years ago when a buddy of mine had a '68 Mustang
with a manual three speed.  He had to stomp hard on the brake one day, and
he missed the clutch before doing so.  The crankshaft slowed down real fast,
but the camshaft wanted to keep going.  Since his (fiber toothed) timing
gear was worn, the timing chain jumped a tooth.

Your distributor is run off the camshaft.  Is your timing chain tensioner in
good shape?  I wonder if you did the same thing in a "hairy full-lockup"?
Maybe someone else on the list can tell you how to check your cam timing
without pulling the front cover.

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B