a mystery solved

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: a mystery solved
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 20:06:40 -0700
Some time ago I asked the list about getting no engine response when
lifting the front carb piston.  I was also getting a puff of fuel mist
back out of the front carb in time with the engine, and I could pull the
front two spark plug leads to no effect.  Today I pulled the head after
verifying my prediction with a compression tester.  The
results:20-20-155-160.  BLOWN HEAD GASKET!  No wonder the poor thing
loped like a gazelle at idle.

I'm going to pull the engine and tranny and rebuild both.  What fun.
One step closer to actually driving the BGT.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."