Re: Distributor in wrong, can't retard timing: 77B

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor in wrong, can't retard timing: 77B
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
Max, your suggestion seems to be the consensus so I'll try it tonight.
Thanks much.

Another lister replied privately and was asking about my idle speed.  I
do have it a little fast, 1500RPM. (okay maybe way too fast, but when
it wasn't running too great, I had to do this)  Forgive me as I have
not read the manual yet, but I don't know if this is fast enough for
the mechanical advance to start to advance.  Here's my rookie opinion.
When I took the dizzy apart to put on the Pertronix, it was dirty as
hell and I think the mechanical advance may have been stuck so that it
wasn't operating properly.  Well, I cleaned everything and could have
unstuck it.  Perhaps now that it is unstuck and maybe the spring is a
little worn and the fact that my idle is a little high is causing
mechanical advance at too low engine speeds???  Maybe I really am
reaching and should go back to lurk mode...any thoughts.

Tom
77B (learning about this timing thing)