RE: Engine equalizer thingameebob

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: RE: Engine equalizer thingameebob
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:28:01 -0700
Charley:

        I am taking a deep breath before posting this.

        You have been the one who has insisted on facts rather than opinion.
Just because you have not seen an equalizer that works under load does not
mean they do not exist.

        "a bolt in a chain, (or just grabbing a different link with the
hook) will do the same job"  Is not an accurate statement.

        A good quality equalizer makes the task much easier and safer for
one person to accomplish.

        This statement is based on my experience of removing and installing
at least 30 MGB engines using various methods.

        With care and correct lifting and chain fastening techniques an MGB
engine can easily be removed without an equalizer.  The jack under the
transmission as prev. stated really works well to support the out of balance
package until pulled forward enough to clear the firewall.  A small
roll-around jack in line with the trans allows the package to slide forward
without the lurch of a bottle jack falling over.  If using a chain make sure
that the attachment to the hoist hook is secure.  The pick point is so far
forward of balance to get the correct angle, that I have seen the chain pick
point slip causing the engine and trans to go vertical despite the sheet
metal in the way.

        I now use the Oberg tilt lift, as I have found it to be much more
forgiving of my mistakes at 2.00 in the morning.  And also because I can
readily tilt the engine-trans package back to horizontal before lowering it
onto a dolly.  (the four wheeled kind).

Kelvin.