Re: 1500 Overdrive

To: jvr@pclink.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Overdrive
From: "Dan Dwelley" <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 07:23:24 PDT
The Jtype over drive unit will bolt on to the 1500 trans but has a different
tail shaft. You cannot just slip it right in. I'm assuming that you're
thinking about putting this into a 1500 Midget. It will require cutting the
cross member out, expanding your tunnel walls out to allow at minimum 1"
around the overdrive unit, cutting the bottom tunnel panel back to the
inspection hole. You will have to fabricate and weld a new cross member that
will be about 1" lower than the original support.

I would recommend sending an Email to the Nottingham MG Center. They have
information on this conversion and offer the conversion kit minus the trans.
and over drive unit.
Their Email address is nottmmg@aol.com.

I'm considering this upgrade myself. The stats show that your overall RPM is
reduced by about 20% in 3rd and 4th gear. the overdrive unit is geared
somthing like .797:1.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget