tranny is on the bench, now what?

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tranny is on the bench, now what?
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 19:58:38 -0700
I've got the transmission clean and on the bench.  The DPO says that he
has never done any tranny or clutch work so I figure now is the time to
go through it.  The problem is that the clutch and throwout bearing,
both original brands, are in almost unused condition.  The throwout
bearing still has the recessed inside and outside edges, and the
clutchplate, flywheel, and driven faces all look recently renewed.  I
need to call the DPO and let him know that somebody replaced his clutch
while he wasn't looking.  As you can see, I can't trust what the DPO
tells me with regard to mechanical conditions.  He had a mechanic do all
of his work so he may honestly not know what has been done to this car.

I can't find enough information about checking out the transmission to
proceed knowledgably.  I don't want to pull it apart, as per the Haynes
or Bentley manuals, just to check it's condition.  Seems like there must
be some way to measure layshalf end-float and syncro cup wear and all
the other pertinant areas of concern by pulling the side plate off and
having a look around.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."