Re: Buying a "B" or my car wont start! -- the continuing saga

To: Matt Pringle <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a "B" or my car wont start! -- the continuing saga
From: mkris@sprynet.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:19:41 -0400 (EDT)
Let me tell you a story of my MGB purchase and then you can make a decision:
I bought a 1977 MGB. No rust appeared on the sills or the other parts of the
body. I was told it was the second owner and he had all the records, including
one for a rebuild. Oil pressure was 60# at 3000 rpm, no smoke, no clunk on the
test drive sounded great. I had the car inspected by a mechanic who said the
mechanicals were in good shape. Eureka -- the perfect car, the year I wanted in
the color I origianlly looked at!
        So I plunked down the cash, paid the ticket, and started an odassey
that
hasn't ended yet.I found a body shop that was "willing" to strip and re-paint
the original color, install a new top and re-do the interior. Finding a body
shop that was willing to re-paint a MGB properly was nearly impossible. I went
to 7 different body shops. I wasn't willing to have Maaco do it and peel a few
weeks later as this was always my dream car.  The shop agreed to charge a
resonable price to strip and paint. Since the engine appeared good-- I went for
it. First came the hidden bondo. That was repaired with a new welded piece
added
$200 to the agreed price. Nine months later, after screaming and yelling that I
could have carried the car to term, it was returned to me. She looks brand
spanking new and extemely pretty.
        So I drove the car out of the shop, to have a new inspection sticker
affixed to the windshield, new also. (Why not since the car was stripped and it
was only a couple hundered bucks more?) This started a saga that to my horror
doesnt seem to end. I couldn't find insurance that covers collision and
replacement, except for collectors insurance -- and then I won't be allowed to
drive it as much as I want.
        Next, the car wouldn't pass emissions! So I add another $300 for
repairs
to pass emissions. Without the sticker for the next two years I woouldn't ne
able to drive it at all.  One hundred fifty miles later the car wont start. No
spark! So I go to the workshop manual, Hayes, Chilton ( another $100) and all
the tests. First it appears the coil is bad. Replace the coil. $34, test again
and the amplifier is replaced: $130. Still wont start. Next fully frustrated, I
call the local MG club for mechanic reccomendations; I have the car towed and
now am told to replace the whole electronic dizzy with points (How much I have
no idea.) In addition, I am told that there are other major engine repairs
necessary (As my I have visions of my retirement account depleting, I curse the
Previous Owner)         Nevertheless, I would do it again: but beware of the
DAMN PREVIOUS OWNER! Now I know what DPO means.